To give you some idea of what you can expect as you venture towards your minimalist ideal, I have put together a few reasons why becoming a minimalist may not be all it’s cracked up to be! So here goes!
Ten Reasons Not to Become a Minimalist
1. People will think you’re about to commit suicide. I was really shocked by this one. People who know me know that as long as there is a bridge game to played, there is no way I’m going to leave this existence on the hurry up. It’s not gonna happen.
2. When people drop by and see all the empty spaces in your abode, they will ask you whether you put your stuff in storage.
3. You will be blamed for a rise in the unemployment rate. Since you buy less stuff, people will have fewer jobs. It’s something called the Law of Unintended Consequences.
4. You may become an unclutterholic! Now you’ve gone to the other extreme. You’re constantly getting rid of things.
5. If you don’t own a television, you may have a problem getting any man to come over on football nights.
6. People will be reluctant to spend the night at your place because you don’t own a television or a radio!
7. People will think you’re a miser. Not that a miserly existence is necessarily a bad thing mind you. If it works for you, do it!
8. You will be an aberration to those who cannot imagine even one day without shopping!
9. People will complain that your place is too quiet.
10. People will tell you that you MUST hold on to some things “just in case.” “Just in case” has simply not happened for me during my cluttered existence!
In addition to a few lifestyle changes, be prepared for some raised eyebrows as you venture along the minimalist path. Good luck!
Feel free to post comments. I love them and will respond to them all.
If you like this post, tell all your friends and click the Like button below. Thank you.
Keeping it easy and breezy,
Vita Reid – The One Minute Minimalist
Follow me on Twitter: @vitareid