After several weeks of cleaning, clearing, organizing, sorting, selling, donating and disposing, I often wonder whether there are greater benefits (aside from the obvious) to going through the daily hassles of clearing out 12 years of my chaotic clutter.
So I got to thinking, which for me can be a dangerous thing! lol! Sure. You can have a clean and tidy place to Tweet about, and post pictures of your Zen-tastic abode to be the envy of all your friends. But there are more benefits to becoming a minimalist than meets the eye.
I’ve come up with 15 reasons why minimalism can pay big dividends, provided you’re willing to stick it out until you reach the level of minimalism that suits you. Post a list of your own in the comments section to encourage us all, as I’m sure there are more than 15. Let’s have fun with this and motivate each other to press onward and upward. I certainly want more out of life than merely manipulating material possessions, don’t you?
So here goes!
FIFTEEN BENEFITS OF MINIMALISM
1. A creditor who levies upon your personal property will have nothing to take. Besides, you probably won’t have any creditors in the first place, as you don’t spend above your means and your spending habits are based solely on need.
2. You won’t have to invite guests over to motivate you to clean up. There’s nothing to clean up!
3. There will be fewer personal items to dispose of upon your demise. Your loved ones can just hit the delete button to get rid of most of your stuff.
4. When you decide to move, all your belongings can be moved in one trip. You can even pack up, move out and catch a flight to Denmark five hours later. There are no balls and chains of personal belongings weighing you down with oppressive force.
5. A burglar alarm system won’t be necessary, AND you can keep your door unlocked! I love this one!
6. Nothing will be lost in a fire. When you evacuate the premises, you can carry it all out with you at once(cat, dog, laptop and all).
7. There will be no need to insure your personal belongings. You don’t own enough to justify the monthly premium.
8. Your rental or mortgage payments will be lower because less space will be required to hold your stuff.
9. You won’t have to work as many hours, because you’ll be buying less stuff.
10. You won’t have to leave a night light on to avoid tripping over things in the hallway en route to the kitchen for midnight munchies. That’s me!
11. Your trash bags will be lighter.
12. There will be fewer clothes to wash on laundry day.
13. Your entire music collection can fit in your back pocket. Gotta love that mp3 player!
14. You won’t need to rent storage space for your extra stuff.
AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST,
15. Your entire book collection can be stored on Kindle. AND there are no more duplicate purchases. I can’t even begin to tell you how many times I’ve forgotten I bought a book or can’t even find it.
What is your experience?
Keeping it easy and breezy in the land of less,